View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 01:58 PM   #17
DavidG

Default Re: 34 ford woodgrain

Gladly!
It wasn't the chrome that had the dull finish, but rather the nickel plating used underneath the chrome that was dull and had to be polished in order for the final chrome plating to have a bright finish. Not until sometime after WWII was bright nickel plating developed which eliminated the need for polishing the dull nickel where a bright final finish was desired. With bright nickel plating, everything took on a bright finish when chrome plated.

My hat is off to you for recognizing the correct finish on the bars of a '33 grille (and the areas behind the raised perimeter where the hood lacing is attached). Those parts of a '33 grille were not polished following the dull nickel plating (documented by the original engineering drawing for the '33 grille) hence their dull finish after chrome plating. Starting with the '34 grilles through '37, the grille bars were polished, but only the leading edges. The grille bar sides continued to have a dull finish.
Few restorers go to the trouble to duplicate the original finishes as almost no plater today offers dull nickel plating. The dull effect can be created mechanically either after the bright nickel plating or after the chrome plating, although most car meet judges are unaware of the correct original finishes on the '33-'37 grilles.

As for the '33 instrument panels (the one in the photo above is a mint original), the engine turning took place after the dull nickel plating and before the last step, chrome plating. The result is something between bright and dull, but the sides and back have only the dull finish as they were not polished after the dull nickel plating.

A final note on '33 grilles. I've had several NOS versions and those on the nine cars I've owned over the years and nearly all of them have had evidence of argent (dull silver) paint on the bars. My theory is that they were painted when new in order to ensure an even appearance of all of the bars, fronts and sides.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote