View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 08:13 AM   #1
Terry, NJ

Default another everlasting debate (body work)

This AM I got one more shock watching You tube videos about filling dents! Years ago, I did some body work and I recall always having bare metal to bond to. Next came a few years ago, It was never to bare metal, always bondo, evercoat etc. over primer! Now, we've come full circle, It's back to filler over bare metal again! I give up! What I'd really like to see is what the professionals do. I stripped, wire wheeled, and lightly sanded my fender till it was bare. I then washed it with Vinegar. Then I pickled it with a phosphoric acid product. Then I used liquid metal to fill in the dents and hammer marks and primed with epoxy primer Some sanding, then I put filler in the low areas, Then a coat of sandable primer. Then a coat of Transtar Black primer. Now I want to put a light coat of filler in any low areas, sand it a little and shoot it with more primer (Filler), then my final sanding. These are kinda rough fenders with a lot of small dents from the underside. I realize that the pros would have gotten them done by now, Is it too many steps? My daughter is getting this car when I go and I want it to last, it's not being flipped.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote