View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 12:22 PM   #10
denniskliesen

Default Re: Steering question

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce295 View Post
As this is not a stock setup I have noticed with the steering arm that is mounted to the spindle has the ball end (drag link connection) directly over the centerline of the axle. In this configuration the travel of the ball end from the center of the axle travels further when going to left than going to the right since the Ackerman angles of this combination allows the wheel on the inside of the turn to rotate further than the outside wheel. I am trying to move the relationship of the ball end to the centerline of the axle to try and split the differences but not quite getting it yet. I keep thinking I am doing something very obviously wrong as people have been doing these swaps for many years and I have not heard of this issue. I really appreciate everyone's time and input on this. It will be solved at some point. Thank you. I'll check again maybe I have the Ackerman angles goofed up but it seemed as everything lined up with the center of the rear axle.
I'd compare the travel of your steering box arm to the travel of your spindle arm from stop to stop. It's possible your steering arm travels a shorter or longer distance. Your going to want the gearbox arm to travel slightly longer distance that spindle arm. Going back to my first response, find the center of the travel for your spindle arm and then measure the distance of the balls when your steering box arm is centered. It's possible your spindle arm travels more in one direction than the other?
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote