View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
wrndln

Default Installing emergency brake return springs

I know this has been covered extensively, but I have been trying to install the springs on the emergency brake levers. Unfortunately, the service brakes and emergency brakes are installed on the rearend and all I need to do to finish is install the spring(s). I made a hook tool and I can get the spring within about 3/8" from slipping around the lever. However the spring hangs up at this point and no matter how hard I pull the spring it wont move any farther. It appears the turns on the spring are getting tight on the housing. I bought the springs at Bratton's, so I believe it is not some cheap, non-fitting spring. I also know I have the correct spring on the correct backing plate (checked several picture of the springs for right and left). I know there is a way to install the spring(s) as the the backing plates are assembled, but I would rather not disassemble everything on the plates. Is there a way to just remove the cotter key and pin on the emergency brake shaft and connect the return spring(s) and rotate the shaft back and reinstall the pin and cotter key? Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, I have search the past posts and have not seen the spring binding problem like I have - just using the hook.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote