View Single Post
Old 11-24-2020, 01:48 PM   #13
satfix

Default Re: Bad Speedometer cable or...

Update: So, all done! I disconnected cable from gauge. It took a bit to get it out, but eventually the cable popped out (there's a little bushing at the spedo side).. I pulled it completely out. Cleaned it and sprayed some lithium grease in the housing and then on the cable and wiped the excess off.

I had issues getting it back in. It slid in to the transmission, but couldn't get it to drop back in - so under the truck i crawled and disconnected it at the transmission. I got the cable in position and then reconnected to the transmission. That was the hardest part as I don't have jacks, lift, or garage. But after a few expletives and a few tries, I was able to get it threaded on and back together.

Test drive went well - the speedometer was jumpy but it was accurate to speed (measured with iphone map speed indicator)...

The ONLY issue I have is when I stop, it doesn't drop back to 0MPH. If I tap the gauge, it will fall back down - so QUESTION:

Is the gauge simply a little dirty and can I just spray a small bit of Kroil or lithium grease in to help it? Or is there a better alternative?

Thanks for everyones help on this!

Rich
satfix is offline   Reply With Quote