View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #8
V8 Bob

Default Re: Drakes 40 coupe old vs new?

I bought a '40 lower rear repair panel from Bob Drake for my coupe about 20 years ago. I temporarily "clecoed" it in place but never finished the install as the car became "dormant". The panel fit the trunk good, but not the fenders.

This last year I bought the new panel B.D. had on sale. It is heavier gauge, with better detail, and fit the fenders great, but not the trunk. The car was in a body shop having the fenders straightened, and I asked which panel they would use. They chose the new panel, even though they had to reform the recess to match my trunk. They liked the detail and strength of the new panel, and blamed some of the fit problems on the fact my trunk lid had been hit/damaged years ago, and although visually repaired, could be slightly out of spec.

My point is if the new '40 body is of the same quality as the repair panel, it should be very nice! I have purchased a lot of parts from B.D. over the last 30 years, and know for a fact his parts are the best, for the most part, than anything else on the market.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote