View Single Post
Old 08-19-2020, 08:01 PM   #14
Synchro909

Default Re: Car died, no start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
LOL, I came here to make a similar suggestion. Was out on a cruise with a buddy and when we when to disembark from the ferry, his truck (stock '47 ford) would turn over but wouldn't start so we push started it. The starter was drawing too much juice not leaving enough for the plugs to make a strong spark.
It's not an uncommon thing.
FWIW, I recall many years ago, being impressed with the cleverness of the designers when a friend and I worked out what they had done to avoid the starter drag causing hard starting. They basically had two ignition systems, one worked on a low voltage - probably 50-60% of the battery voltage. It was this circuit that provided the spark when the starter was engaged and when the motor started, it switched back to the main circuit. Starting had always been easy but that suddenly changed which caused us to delve into the system. The problem was something else - I don't remember what now, only what a genius system it was. I don't even remember which car this was, we had so many between us and we always helped each other when there was any issue.