View Single Post
Old 07-23-2016, 03:51 PM   #29
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Drive Shaft Coupler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmco View Post
The original Ford coupler was a 6 to 6 spline coupler, so it extends into the tubular drive shaft. It was only cleaned up, and the original end was bored for a light interference. It is plug welded on two sides through large slotted holes. Here's another picture. There was no distortion, and it checked out perfectly true.
Okay Al, that explains it well. You may have mentioned how this was welded at the last RG36 meeting, but with my hearing, I probably didn't totally understand the welding details. I don't recall ever seeing one welded quite like this before, but it does appear to be a good way to prevent distortion in the critical area of the female splines that must have a good fit up with pinion splines. If I was not planning to go with a '37-'41 solid drive shaft, 6/6 spline coupling, and center brg. torque tube on the next 35 rear I am building, your method of doing an original 35 hollow tube drive shaft looks like a better way to go than any other hollow drive shaft conversion that I have seen in the past.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote