View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 04:01 PM   #16
LazarusLong

Default Re: 51 v-8 water pump shaft bushing problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Listen to "flatheadmurre". There is a water pump bearing that you can use to replace the fan bearing. I did it on my '51. The only thing I had to do was cut off the shaft on he bearing because it was too long. After trimming the shaft it fit perfectly. I don't think it's a bearing from a flathead, but something else. I'll try to find my post about it (I think it was "Ross-F1" who gave me the number.) Maybe he remembers and will jump in here.

Please be aware that you will need a press in press the bearing in. I tried a vise and a BFH, and I just couldn't get it to go the last 1/16".

Thanks!

As I wrote above I found the recommended shaft for 12 bucks after using the parts number to look around,and will be working on doing this fix once I get feeling better. The cancer and the chemo have me too confused and weak to do much right now.

To get by in the meantime I ordered a 6 volt fan with the relay to use behind my radiator,and am having a friend with a resto shop do it for me. I figure I can always pull the electric fan off to use on something else later if need be after I get the original back on again. I will most likely have the resto shop guy grind the rivets off the fan blade to reduce stress on the shaft in the car now. Once I get able to fix it,I will just rivet it back on again.

I am determined to try to avoid any modifications I don't have to make on this car. I had to use the wrong material for the seat covers because I just didn't have the money for original material,and I will use the same material for the door panels. It kinda looks original and nice,but a lot cheaper. My plan is/was to keep the car as close to original as possible,while still making it attractive enough to tempt someone into buying it and not hotrodding or customizing it. I like rods and some customs,but original cars with the original drive trains in them are getting hard to find,and not everything needs to be modified. It runs and drives like a dream,so if it ain't broke I ain't going to try to fix it.

Plus,this beats the hell out of driving down the road while sitting in a hole with a spring poking me in the butt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51 Vicky Front Seat.jpg (63.7 KB, 26 views)
LazarusLong is offline   Reply With Quote