View Single Post
Old 08-10-2014, 06:56 PM   #75
Ken/Alabama

Default Re: Yes, they are still out there NUMBER 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce in southern OH View Post
Green Bible????? cmbrucew and countless others have helped me find parts for the Lincoln that are across the counter items and local. Radiator hose 1 3/4" found at NAPA for lower engine and sold by the foot. #7600 brake hoses for front end and swing brake hose in rear of car and the list I am sure will go on. My Question is there a book/computer web site that shows the interchange parts like Green Bible that includes the Lincoln?? Asked Walt about the one he has for sale here on barn and it does not, also best way to get bearings and seals. Went to Applied Technologies with my front 39 "clean" drum to match up drum seals and bearings, you would have thought I brought in a part from outer space. Told they have nothing, then asked on Ford barn and looked on E-bay, one answer on fordbarn quickly and ebay seller had a part number for Lincoln and other Ford cars, just looking for a way to match up Ford parts in supplier catalogs with Lincoln part numbers. Same number on parts like A-7550, B-7550, 18-7550, 48-7550 and so on. Thanks and let me know what you have found,
Hey Bruce, Thats a very nice looking Zephyr you have there. I see it has an accessory center front bumper guard. I also see it has a Hot Air heater but the metal elbow is missing ,do you have it? They are very hard to come byif you dont but one can be made from a piece of exhaust pipe.I read that it has a Columbia Two speed,does the speedometer cable come frome the pass side axle housing at the rear wheel? I dont see a speedometer adapter on the firewall is why I ask. If it comes from the rear wheel its a pretty sure bet it was factory installed. My advise would be not to shift that columbia untill you have time to go through rebuilding it. It has some cork pads inside the synchro clutch and they tend to glue themselves to the inside of the drum . If they are stuck it could rip the sun gear to pieces.There is actually not very much interchange between the Lincoln and Ford. Luckly the front grease seals are same as 35-48 Fords and rear grease seals are same as Ford 38-48 and so are the front wheel bearings,inner and outer same as 28-48 Fords. The 39 Lincoln has the same drag link as 35-40 Ford along with the tie rod ends. The wishbone rubber ball is 39 Mercury and so is the cap. The master cylinder is same as Ford. There are some large rubber isolators,2 in the front crossmember and 2 in the rear crossmember that the suspension mounts to. Check them out for dry rot. If they are bad there is really nothing holding the front and rear suspension in the car except just the weight of the car. Rebuilt ones are available. Im definatly no expert on the 39 Zephyr but I have built two of them and now working on the third one so let me know if I can be of any help.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote