Thread: FORD vs FERRARI
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #44
frnkeore

Default Re: FORD vs FERRARI

My wife took me to see it, last night, for my 75th Bday.

Overall, I liked the movie but, the driving scenes, are down right "Hokey"!!

Examples:
1. Ken passing on the outside, in the dirt, on Willow springs straightaway. I've raced there, many times and that maneuver, would have at least spun him but, more likely, sent him rolling, into the pits. He would have been driving on sand, with LOTS of rocks.

2. Looking at the other drivers, while doing 200+ MPH. You Do Not look at other drivers, when your racing!!!! You only use peripheral vision, even at 80 mph or less.

3. You don't put your brakes on, when cornering, especially at high speed, you trail brake, going into a corner, nothing after that nor, shift at 200+ and take off, like a rocket.

4. Even then, they wore seat belts and were strapped in at pit stops!

I don't really think they did much testing of the GT40 at Willow, the front straight is fairly short and the back straight, too. I believe most, if not all the testing was at Riverside Raceway, on the "long" track (there were 3 configurations), configuration. It's the only road track, that has a long enough straight, to let the GT40, unwind. They couldn't have used OMS (Ontario Motor Speedway), as it wasn't built, until 1968.

I was impressed with Matt Damons role (didn't think I would be), His stature leaves a lot to be desired but, a lot of shots were from lower levels, looking up, to make him seem taller. I didn't know Carol or Ken but, saw many interviews of Carol and a couple, with Ken. In those days, I lived and breathed road racing, especially, anything involving Ford.

They didn't try to show Kens death, in the "J" car, nor it happening on the Riverside, straightaway. They could have mocked up a car to look like it. Although the J car was good in the wind tunnel, the J car had aero problems, right from the start on the track and they changed the body work, to what would become the MK IV, to cure it.

Between '73 and '79, I raced at Willow Springs, Riverside and OMS so, I know the tracks well. My first SCCA drivers school was at Willow, in '73.

I know nothing about the exec's, they portrayed Iocca well but, if Bebee wasn't like that, it was a injustice to him and his family.

This is the "J" car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GT 40 J Car.jpg (20.7 KB, 32 views)
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote