View Single Post
Old 11-13-2019, 09:37 AM   #14
denniskliesen

Default Re: Interesting read in Hemmings about restoration costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
I am currently painting my 31 Slant Windshield Cabriolet using TCP Global, Acrylic Urethane. Wonderful paint! I agree with this article 100%. I've spent 2 summers on the body work and finally started painting in September. I have completed the fenders, splash aprons, hood and doors and so far so good. I can't say enough good things about the new paints. I am using epoxy primer/hardener, high build primer/hardener and (3) top coats with hardener. The next day this paint is hard and smooth as glass!

The labor on a job like this is a killer. The cost of the paint is the least of your worries. Getting the rumble lid perfect is proving to be the most difficult for me. I am using full sheets of sand paper and sanding in multiple directions and find that I have to skim coat again in one area.

I am painting Kewannee and Elkpointe Green. There are so many different interpretations of these colors. I couldn't find any codes for these colors, so I held my breath and purchased quarts of blue, green, white, black. I used a web site called "TryColors.com that allows you to electronically mix colors to get close to what you want. I used liquid oz. as units. It is amazing, I couldn't believe how close I came to what I wanted on the first test batch. After you get the lower body color the way you like it, you simply add black to get the darker trim color, in my case, Elkpointe Green.

The challenging part of all this is that TCP Global has many different shades of the various colors of white, blue and green. You just have to pick base colors that are in the right direction for the color you want. The paint was mixed in pint batches and finally poured into a gallon container and mixed for 10 to 15 minutes to be sure it was all in the final color. The various paint colors all mixed and blended very easily to get the final color. I mixed 4 quarts of Kewannee Green and 3 quarts of Elkpointe Green. I figure I have about $1200.00 in paints, hardener, solvent, sand paper, mixing cups, fine line masking tape and painters tape.

The sad thing for me is this is my last paint project (I'm 77). I think I finally know what to do to get a presentable paint job and it is over! If you are young and love this hobby, purchase the necessary equipment, do a lot of reading and do the body work and paint yourself. You will save a ton of money and most likely be able to sell your car for what you have invested in it.
Ed, TCP Global have all the paint code and color chips in their library for all the Model A colors. Did you talk to them about it?
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote