View Single Post
Old 11-13-2019, 01:02 AM   #7
mike657894

Default Re: Interesting read in Hemmings about restoration costs.

I just painted a car a little while ago as practice. some single stage blue metallic. just a cheap used car. I think 9-12 hours spread over a few days of color sanding and polishing. A better application could have saved me a bunch of time. The body work took quite a bit and a trained eye could pick it out I did water proof filler, spot putty, a couple coats of primer. I feel Im getting a lot better at it. This is probably the 6th paint job I've done. I have some good mirroring on it. I was mindful of the flop. It looks pretty nice....for a used car. But It would never pass the scrutiny any of us put on a paint job that would be on our Babys.To pay to have the time put into this job by the cheapest of professionals would cost more than the 2000 the car is worth. This is the 67$ a gallon starfire daytona blue matallic. for the price amazing. for twice the price it would still be great paint. But its nothing compared to good stuff. The urethanes are so much better but cost so much more.

Edit:I must add every time I paint a car all the running around and sanding and work, sets off my hip pain or elbow pain or something where I cant do much till it gets better. And USE YOUR RESPIRATORS!!! CLEAR COAT IN THE AIR WILL MAKE YOU SICK!!! only did that once about 15 years ago.

https://www.ebay.com/i/233207094678?...yABEgLlmvD_BwE

Last edited by mike657894; 11-13-2019 at 01:38 AM.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote