View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 07:53 AM   #40
Railcarmover
BANNED

Default Re: Should I pass on this A? Or would I miss out on something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Yeah I began thinking"Yeah let some poor sap do all the work and I'll pay some extra cash and have a finished car, NO MORE WORK!" Boy was I ever wrong! I paid the extra cash and this what I got for my money! Cheap paint job, no primer!, Steering box rebuild, Costs, 4 or 5 days and a couple of hundred $$, Transmission, It jumped out of gear bringing it home, I figured I didn't have it all the way in gear. No, Soft Chinese (?) steel! It was worn where the 3rd gear engages the sliding gear. I had to replace the input shaft and a couple of times in and out of the car, what's that worth? Next, The pinion bearing went, I had to rebuild the rear + $700 for a new gear set ( 3.54 vs 3.78) and bearings etc. + 2 1/2 months downtime! Now it's the brakes! And so It goes! For this I paid $8500 about five years ago! Get the car cheap and do your own work with known parts!
Terry
There is no greater satisfaction than learning a new skill,doing the research,practicing and learning new methods.In a lot of ways doing your own work is the high point of owning the car,its a let down when its done.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote