View Single Post
Old 02-20-2020, 05:54 PM   #36
dmsfrr

Default Re: '54 / '55 Fordomatic ID ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
... You have a typical small-case two speed Ford-O-Matic. They were commonly used for Ford full-sized cars V8 and 6-cyl applications beginning in 1951.
The 1951 thru 1954 Ford-O-Matic's had a cast-iron rear extension housing. From '55 on up, they had an aluminum rear extension housing.
'51 thru '56 had air-cooled converters. '57 and later (with V8) had water-cooled converters, ...
This one has the cast iron air-cooled bellhousing, a cast iron main case and an aluminum rear housing. So it "shouldn't" be the '54 version. (photos in previous replies above)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
... I have two '55's with Ford-O-Matics. The adjustment procedure for the "kickdown rod" is NOT located in the car shop manual. You need the Ford-O-Matic shop manual for the adjustment procedure. I have had the 1956 Ford-O-Matic shop manual since 1973. In the '56 Manual, you would look at page 20 and 21 and there's a good illustration of your linkage on pg 21. ...
You're right I didn't find it in the '55 shop manual and don't have the '56 version. But I did find the adjustment procedure on page 2-89 in the '57 Shop Manual. That's what I'm hoping will do it.

Tinkering with it today but I have other plans tomorrow and the weather is supposed to go bad Saturday and Sunday. So a test drive may have to wait until next week.

In the meantime, if it's raining or snowing, more jackstands are here now and I'll try getting the car high enough to have a look at the ID plate on the transmission.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54vicky View Post
... I may have the spring info somewhere(number of coils etc)as to the pressure gauge you need a protractor in conjunction with it.the transmission shop may or may not have it.if they did you would need to take the car to them.they have probably built it right but they can not do anything about the linkage unless they have it. ...
They had the car for a couple days a few months ago, said they made some adjustments
(but no difference I could notice) and that they were really busy.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-27-2020 at 07:27 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote