View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 12:11 AM   #25
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: '54 / '55 Fordomatic ID ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
My biggest concern is why it seems to only have two functioning forward gears instead of three with a 2nd gear start as I've been told it 'should' be. I asked the transmission shop that did the rebuild the same question and they told me it's really just a 2 speed. So where did the other gear go???
The Ford-O-Matic has always been a THREE-speed transmission. If you select "DRIVE", it shifts directly into intermediate, then shifts to high gear at the appropriate speed. You can select "LOW", start driving, then manually pop it up into "DRIVE" and it will shift into intermediate, then to high gear at the appropriate speed. Additionally, the trans will automatically shift into "LOW" if you select "DRIVE" and stomp the accellerator to the floor, then it will run thru all three gears. If you are on the highway, in "DRIVE" and you want to pass a slow poke, you can stomp the accellerator to the floor and the transmission will automatically downshift, then resume shifting to high again at the appropriate speed.

Where my concern is, lies in the fact that you are using a '57 and later intake manifold (which only properly fits on the 272/292 heads), and I am wondering if the guy who did the ill-advised swap, carried along the proper Ford-O-Matic passing gear linkage with it.

Thake some pics of back of intake manifold behind you carb so we can see the linkage. Do you see a rod connected from there that goes down to the passing gear lever on the trans (right where the shift lever is)? If not, you have problems. The Ford-O-Matic will not operate properly if that is not installed and not adjusted properly.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote