Thread: Wood graining
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2021, 02:31 PM   #30
Russ B

Default Re: Wood graining

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Great discussion, folks. I am working towards re-graining the moldings on my Town Sedan using the Grain-it system and feel better about biting off learning a new skill.

For you folks who have used this system: the video shows a "toning" step which to me seems to darken the basecoat and muddy up the look. (The woodgrain on my existing moldings isn't too bad but you can definitely see that 90 years and 95K miles has not been kind to it). Did you do the toning step? The Paint and Finish Guide does not mention a toning step. I'll likely try the graining with and without toning and see what I like, but to me the toned product is too dark and subtle. Or, like RussB, did you pick a basecoat, ink and pattern you liked and runwith it, original be damned (RussB - it's beautiful!)?
And how about basecoat? Did you use a]-it basecoat or color match to the Paint and Finish Guide? Certainly a couple of rattle cans from Grain-it are cheaper and easier than color matching to a poly paint, but in the end I suppose the poly basecoat, inked and then clear-coated would be more durable.

Thanks, all.

JayJay
I spent a good part of a year practicing, testing different graining patterns, testing different bases and toners, before trying to work on curved surface

It was fun to learn a new skill, but took time before I was ready to paint the real thing
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote