View Single Post
Old 10-16-2022, 12:23 PM   #1
Laredo

Default Top of front axle worn from spring / inspecting used axle

I just obtained a used axle to replace my original that had worn holes for the spring perch bolts. After looking at it more closely and comparing it side-by-side to my original, there are a couple issues that either will or may need addressing:

The first is the wear on the top of the axle from years of the front spring sagging and rubbing against the top of the axle. Both sides of this "new" axle have indentions from this wear. Is this something that will be a problem running like this, or does it need to be filled in with weld and ground smooth?

The other thing that will need checked and/or addressing is the straightness of it. When I put it side-by-side with my original axle, one of them has a slight bow to it, and I think it's the new one. I also laid the new one on its side and placed my old one on top of it, lining up the holes and also the machined tops of the axle. One end had the top machined surface at the king pin holes flush. The other end resulted in one axle having this machined surfaced raised almost 1/4 higher than the other one. So, I guess the question is how do I go about checking the straightness and correct angles on this new axle? I'm not blessed in my area with a lot of old school speed or machine shops like I read about so times here, so I might need a little more DIY direction, if possible.

Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote