View Single Post
Old 08-07-2022, 02:38 PM   #7
ModelAMitch

Default Re: Distributor Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
I think people are right that it is the timing gear. If you cannot move the shaft in the distributor then it is likely still connected to the camshaft. You can take a spark plug out to see if the valves are still moving up and down.

Changing the cam gear is something that can be done on the side of the road but it is much easier if you remove the radiator and work from the front of the car. When you remove the front cover to remove the timing gear, make sure you do not allow the plunger and spring to fall into the engine by tipping the cover back as you remove it.

An aluminum gear will last a lot longer than the fiber gear. You can buy a tool to remove the cam gear nut and you can buy a nut that takes a standard socket wrench.

The red book is a good reference and has step by step instructions.

Thank you very much for the information. I was planning on pulling the rad out to clean and flush and replace the rad hoses already. So I’ll do all of this at the same time. If an aluminum cam gear is what’s recommended then that’s what I’ll get.
I’ll rip the rad out, pull the cam gear off and assess.
While I’m in there replacing the cam gear is there anything else I should look for and/or replace?
ModelAMitch is offline   Reply With Quote