View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 12:17 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: 1940 merc rear end?

For one thing, I'm remembering that the drive shafts/pinions are of a one piece design on the Mercs. Doing a little research on the H.A.M.B., the '39-'41 Mercs AND 1941 6-cylinder Fords had this goofy 1-piece drive shaft/pinion gear. I never understood the reason for that. That fact alone would make me question whether they're the same width. Wonder if Kubarth might have a clue?

Maybe someone can look at one of the parts books/Green Book. IF the axles and bell housings are different lengths on the Mercs, their part number would likely begin with a "99A-" prefix. Otherwise, they should match the '37-'41 Ford prefix of "78A-" for bells and "81A-" for axles.

The '39-'41 Mercs had a 116" wheelbase whereas the '39-'40 Fords wheelbase was 112". I'd bet that Merc torque tube measures close to 74". The '39-'40 Ford t-tube is 70".

So banditomerc …..If you're possibly thinking about substituting a Ford rear for a Merc rear, it won't work....EASILY! Even if the widths are the same, that goofy pinion/driveshaft is longer than the Ford counterpart. Using a Ford rear, the t-tube/drive shaft combo will be too short. And there will be no EASY way to lengthen the torque tube and driveshaft/pinion to match the Merc length. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 05-25-2020 at 01:20 PM.
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote