View Single Post
Old 07-20-2015, 08:02 PM   #21
miker98038

Default Re: Questions regarding idle on early Y-block

Greenbird brings up an interesting point about the distributor. Might be worth pulling it and check the gear. The 239 used a different tooth count than the 272 and up. That might tell you if there was a later cam, as the cam gear drives this. Next question, I assume you have the "spacer" on the water pump, and that means you have the 272 up water pump. The 239 water pump is smaller IIRC. I know your earlier post said you have a 239 casting number on the block. I don't recall if you found the head castings # or not. I don't know what if anything you can do to fit later internals into the 239 block, but someone here will. Might be worth pulling the dist and pan and having a look.

While I'm sure this is depressing, look at the bright side. When I bought my 55, I caught that the right rear quarter had been replaced with a 56 panel. The door latch had a spacer plate. What I didn't catch was that it was welded on a 1/4" low at the taillight. It's a lot easier to change the motor and transfer the bird parts than it is to tear a quarter panel off.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote