View Single Post
Old 02-13-2020, 12:59 PM   #9
rotorwrench

Default Re: 351w block problems

I certainly wouldn't call the 351C junk but I've seen what can happen to them under extremes when using stock rods. Breakage was less common with the small block 351 but any of them will break if pushed too hard. What killed the 351C was the change to the tall deck design and the oil crisis that happened after that. It's production was short lived at the end of the muscle car era. New blocks are available now so it will be interesting to see how they hold up. Kind of expensive going that route though but if you need a new engine for an old Mercury Cyclone GT or even a Pantera then at least there is one.

For extreme use, I'm still an FE guy. I never tried this but there is info out there that the 2V Cleveland heads can do about the same thing we did with porting and polishing for the 351W. It just takes some mods to get any of the 335 family 2V heads to work on the Windsor block. It boosts compresion a bit and makes them breath a bit better. I hear it makes a good bit of difference but I've yet to try it. Ford 351 engines will run well no matter which side of the river they were made on.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-13-2020 at 01:56 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote