View Single Post
Old 02-04-2020, 10:38 AM   #47
Merc Cruzer

Default Re: Distribator off by one tooth - Pulley casting number

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
Mart, He said initially that the engine ran best with timing indicated about 1 1/2" advanced of the factory button. He used the zip tie method (your video) to determine TDC and it agreed with the 1 1/2" advanced mark. He was advised to lift the distributor and rotate the rotor 1 tooth CCW, which put the rotor well past (ATDC) the #1 terminal on the distributor cap. The picture of the distributor after the CCW rotation of the gear and re-timing showed the vacuum can rotated CCW and against the thermostat housing, which was needed for the terminal on the distributor cap to "catch up" with the rotor. I don't understand how rotating the rotor shaft CCW and then rotating the distributor housing CCW to catch up with it moved the TDC indication on the crank pulley and made it run well with the timing set on the factory button.
The confusion here seems to be with how I worded the statement I made as to the TDC aligning with the 1 1/2" off the timing mark on the pulley. That was incorrect. The zip tie method test "confirmed that the TDC was in fact with the timing mark on the pulley aligned with the timing pin on the front of the timing cover."

I apologize for the confusion.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote