View Single Post
Old 02-03-2020, 07:01 PM   #45
Merc Cruzer

Default Re: Distribator off by one tooth - Pulley casting number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Can I see if I understand how all this went down..?

The car ran ok but you couldn't get the timing to align with the mark because the distributor body was restricted to only a few degrees movement and it couldn't go far enough to thet the timing on the marks.

You then retimed the distributor one tooth round, and was then able to get enough movement so the timing then did align with the timing mark on the pulley.

The car runs better now and quite rightly as the timing must have been off before.

You say it sounds quieter. If the timing was retarded it can make the exhaust note louder.

So the pulley hasn't slipped, it was right all along and now you have been able to align the timing with it it runs better than before.

Is that about it?

I remember watching your driving videos. It would be interesting to make another video to see if the exhaust note sounds crisper than before?? (just an idea).

Mart.
Mart,

You are close. I could get the timing mark to line up, and it ran, but not well at all. So I returned it to a position, that wound up being 1 1/2" advanced, off the timing mark.

Once I re-timed it one tooth CCW, I was able then to align the timing marks and it runs beautifully.

Once we get better weather (that may be a while) I will make a new video, to check out the exhaust note now.

Always good hearing from you.

Thanks again.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote