View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 05:27 PM   #279
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

Thanks guys once again. I did make some progress over the weekend. Most was on door handles/latches. I decided to go with Toyota Landcruiser pre-'75 door latches mated to ford pickup outer door handles. The square shaft is the same size but sits as a diamond shape at rest on the toyota side. Nothing I can't fix. I decided to weld a narrow flange to the toyota latch mechanism so I can screw to the edge of the door as well. This latch has an inside handle that operates direct on the mechanism with no linkage. A bit cumbersome to operate for old stiff folks, but all in all, they look and operate like something one would have chosen back in the 40s for a one off commercial vehicle. Besides I had two in my attic and located two more for 22 bucks each, and they are very solidly built for hard off road work. I labored over the decision to mount the handles about 2 1/2" below the belt line like on a '40-'41 woodie instead of in line with it like a '46-'47. This Frankenwoodie body looks a lot more like a '40-'41 so I opted for the former. With more grandchildren coming along than you can shake a stick at, this location will also be easier for them to reach. I have 3 ford jailbar pickup handles, but some are stainless and some are painted pot metal. I think the stainless ones are '42s? I know I will need dovetails on all doors and that should be rather straightforward. The engine continues to progress as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg door latches on woodie 007.jpg (72.3 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg door latches on woodie 016.jpg (35.2 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg door latches on woodie 014.jpg (45.4 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg door latches on woodie 049.jpg (94.5 KB, 87 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote