View Single Post
Old 12-26-2020, 05:48 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: R3 Generator - cutout, voltage .....

All Fords of that vintage are 6-volt positive ground including tractors like the 9N. I would have to ask what application this generator is for? Magnetos are generally only used on stationary engines and tractors.

The old 3-brush generators depend on the battery for the voltage that they will operate at. Their output is generally very low from 15 to 20-amps so they won't give a lot of power output for accessories or the like. They will keep the battery charged though. Amperage output adjustments of the 3rd brush will require an ammeter in the circuit to get output set. A modern diode type cut-out replacement should work to control the generator on and off function. I would use it on 6-volts just to be safe with it. They will work on 12-volts but I don't know how reliable it would be. Many a model T has been set up for 12-volts.

If a person wants 12-volts, it would be a better bet to go with a later 2-brush type with a voltage regulator. It would be more reliable anyway and it would give 30 to 35 amps of output. It just depends on your application and what you want to do with it.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)