View Single Post
Old 01-28-2020, 11:15 PM   #10
Jeff M

Default Re: Brake Light Switch Backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
Re "most hydraulic switches fail quite often" Maybe you would like to explain that one a bit more or were is that information coming from?
Up at the start of this you said you took it apart, was not sure why you would take a new switch apart, but maybe that has something to do with it.
I took it apart because the aftermarket '28-'29 switches are known for not working out of the package. When I took it apart the contacts didn't touch with the plunger pulled back, so I fixed that issue before installing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
With hydraulic brakes I too would have probably used the master cylinder switch. They were used reliably for decades. But, he decided to use a mechanical switch.
I'm using a later dual circuit master cylinder, not a factory style early Ford with the rear mounted switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Brake light switches of the pressure activated type are becoming less common for design in the modern era. A lot of them are Hecho in Mexico now days. I've had several new ones go bad and even start leaking. The old ones lasted a life time but they guy that owned the car before died so the life time is up.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
I have never seen a switch mounted there. All I have seen were on the X member.
That is where the '28-'29 switches are mounted, I'm using the earlier switch on my '30.

I've been tied up all week but I plan to get some shop time in tomorrow and figure what's going on.
Jeff M is offline   Reply With Quote