View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
James Rogers

Default Re: New spark plug numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Tucson View Post
I recently swapped Champion W-18s gapped at .035" in for repro 3Xs gapped at .035" which were running a little too cool in my engine (4" bore, 5.9 head, Stipe B cam). Seems to be running smoother particularly on acceleration from low speeds but who knows. Have only put 105 miles on them and have not checked them for heat range suitability yet.

"No they don't because that number has been replaced by Champion p/n 518."

Yer parts guy needs more edumacation on not being a wise ass, the stock number switch to 518 occurred a long time ago but W-18 is still stamped right on the plug. Would he have even been able to find a cross reference if you had brought in a W-18 and asked for 4 more?

Likewise, the Motorcrafts still are stamped TT-10 and Autolites are still stamped 3076.
Problem is, ifit is not written in a book and the application can be looked up in a book, most counter people won't even be able to cross reference ANYTHING . We have an old time auto parts that I use and the counter guys are mostly old time car guys that I have known for years. They know what a w 16y is and that it will fit a Model A or some tractors. They also have a machine shop in the back that you can hardly walk through BUT, the guy can fix most anything and can save a part most others would toss. This would be the best place to buy your local parts.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote