View Single Post
Old 07-22-2019, 10:02 AM   #13
DHZIEMAN

Default Re: Battery Acid Recharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
I have a six year old ford script repro battery that is marginal in starting the car. I have added water numerous times over the years. My hydrometer indicates the battery acid in each cell is very dilute and in the red zone. Can I add fresh battery acid to the cells and recharge? Thoughts..... Don't want to give up on the battery if possible. Don't want to have a safety problem either!
Old timers would talk about the acid going into the plates when the specific gravity was down. Charging a healthy battery would bring the acid and water back together to raise the SG to 1275! When a battery will not take a charge, it is probably sulfated. It is not a sign more acid is required. As long as there are no leaks in the battery, the acid is still there, and the measure is just showing there is a problem with charging. Sulphation is one of the causes, the others on aged batteries is breakdown of the plates and insulators. Sometimes a high charge rate (monitored carefully) on just a sulfated battery will bring it back.
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote