View Single Post
Old 05-20-2016, 07:49 AM   #5
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Picture of Bad Clutch Disc When Springs Fall Out

This happened in my s10 at 209K miles, was leaving Rainmaker Rons shop, started the truck, put it in reverse backed out onto the side street and went to put it in 1st it wouldn't go and clutch felt funny. Shut it off got out and saw the rain of clutch fluid running out of the bellhousing. Had to start it in 1st gear and time shifts just right to drive the 5 miles to work.

For months before this every once in a great while when taking off from a dead stop it would sound like metal scraping right before the clutch was fully engaged. I figured with that many miles im hearing the brass rivets scraping the flywheel or something. The clutch would not slip when you did the slip test.

Anyways what happened is the springs wore grooves in the ears and wore thru the springs themselves. The scraping was small sections of spring trapped between the pressure plate fingers and clutch disc. What broke the camels back to to speak was a large spring chunk fell out, jammed up some of the fingers so when I pushed the clutch for the last time the throwout bearing didnt move and I blew the slave cyl...Clutch material wise the shop said I still had about 10-15K left on it.