View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 01:16 PM   #12
blucar

Default Re: Tire size with Columbia rear end

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
When I take the last three sentences in their complete context, I think you mean "increase" rather than "reduce" the stopping distance. I hate to be pedantic, but I just want to make sure I understand what you are saying.

Thank you for pointing out my use of the wrong wording, I have corrected my comment.

As I pointed out in my comment (s) about tire/wheel size, the recommended wheel for a P235 tire is 6-8.5", the use of a 5-5.5" wheel will pinch the bead in, thereby making the tread crown and reducing the tread contact to the road.
Many people are not aware how important wheel size and tire inflation is. A tire that has poor contact to the road, from either wheel size or tire inflation will show up in tread wear... Wear on the center of the tread will indicate over-inflation, and/or wheel to narrow. Wear on the outer shoulder of a tire will be a sign of under-inflation and//or to wide of a wheel.

I recently encountered a motorist that had a huge problem with a Class C RV on a Ford F550 chassis.

He had the original steel wheels replaced with alloy wheels, for the look. While traveling down the road the right rear lug bolts sheared off, causing the two wheel to come off of the differential hub.. Severe damage to the body occurred.
The damage was repaired and new lug bolts/alloy wheels were installed on the effected side. A few months later the right outside wheel came off, lug nuts came loose.
The problems were two fold; The alloy wheels were not weight rated for the axle weight. The lug bolts were designed for the original Ford drop center/coined wheels.. (Coined wheels nest together, where-as alloys don't) The coach was overloaded on the back axle by 3,500 lbs, a result of the owner carrying to much stuff.