View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
George Miller

Default Re: piston size help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach0415 View Post
Good afternoon! I am in the process of freshening up a 29 T.S. Compression test results showed low, so the head was pulled to inspect condition. A compression ring was stuck on one of the cylinders and 2 others had stuck valves. The one cylinder that had higher compression than the rest did not appear to have any stuck rings or valves. I pulled the pan to inspect bearings and found lower end stuff okay. I mic'ed the pistons to see which oversize they are, as it is clear someone along the way worked on the engine before.

The piston measured out at 3.920" at the top and 3.940" at the bottom of the skirt. I noted also that these are split-skirt pistons. My intent is to re-ring after a light hone. I have not measured ring gap, yet. So, if my specs are correct, that would put everything at a .045" oversize, but rings come in .020" oversize increments. I think I really need a .050" over set, but the next size up in .060" over.

What would you all do? I am not interested in a total rebuild at this time.
Std bore is 3.875 that is bore size not piston size. so 3.940 - 3.875 = .065
that would mean .070 over size bore. That is kind of a odd size. Are you sure you measured the piston right.

Why not check the bore size that is what counts.

Last edited by George Miller; 12-22-2011 at 03:29 PM. Reason: add
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)