View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 09:59 AM   #20
Bruce of MN

Default Re: Some A's in the snow....

I sent the photos at the top to a local club member who is originally a New Englander and he sent this:

"Interesting that they have the wheels on the skis in some of the pictures. With the original Model T Snowmobile, made in Ossippee, NH, the front wheels came off at the king pins, and the ski's were put on and connected to the steering mechanism.

The skis were big and heavy, and they were hard to steer. Also, the Snowmobile works best on a flat hard surface. Back in the horse and buggy era, they would roll the roads in the winter. They had a huge roller that was pulled by a team of oxen. The rolled roads made it easier for the sleighs and horses to drive on in the winter. The Snowmobiles just took advantage of the good flat surface. I think they stopped rolling the roads in the 1920's or 1930's.

I did have the makings of a Model T Snowmobile, the front skis, the tracks, the rear axle (Model TT rear axle), the idler axle that was mounted in the middle, and held the tracks from the front. I also had a Model T to put it on. They used the TT truck rear axle because the torque tube was longer, and with semi eliptic springs out the back, this increased the wheelbase so there were two wheels on each side at the rear, to hold the tracks.

They also found that they needed to use the two speed Ruxtell TT rear end, so they would have low enough gearing to make the tracks go. It took a lot of power to turn those tracks."
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote