Thread: Engine diaper
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #20
Ritzy1

Default Re: Engine diaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKS.PA View Post
Dave, know this is not about the "diaper", but do you think redoing the rear mail seal and rear cork pan gasket might solve the leak?

You can remove the pan...easier on your brother's lift....with the engine in the car. Maybe cut the lower half of a new 3/8" rope seal 1/8" proud with a dollop or black RTV on each edge and re-install? Guessing you used the one piece neoprene seal in the front?

Did this on the 59 AB in my '39 after not doing this at the time I rebuilt the engine. It never leaked after. Just did this on my '47 and am praying it stays dry....good so far, but haven't run it enough yet!! And, yes I know these engines all leaked, even from the factory!! So, if my last attempt fails, I'm prepared to live with it!!

Really enjoyed following along with your HAMB postings....beautiful work and photo documentary!!

Best of luck....Dick.
This thing only has about 2,000 miles on it. I did my best to seal it up as best I could using all of the advice I could glean from various experts. I'm guessing it's that knife edge on the pan that goes up against that cork gasket in the rear main. It was really hard to keep it in place when I was putting the pan on, even with RTV.
Ritzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote