View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Starter Crank Hole Lubrication

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
Can you start a thread called "I'm going to be at the archives in a few weeks" and then we can just send you unsolicited requests for things to look up for us?

……….…….

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Most folks that go to the Bensen Ford Research center are usually looking for references for books they want to write. DavidG on the V8 board has spent some time there but I think it was more convenient for him in location. His research was on the 1932 models among others. If I lived near Detroit, I'd certainly haunt them a time or two. The folks there will find information for people if they give them a specific request. There is a lot of stuff on line that can be accessed too.

Even with an oil hole there, the oil would be limited on how far it could go or what it could do to lubricate anything. Getting oil between the top leaf and the cross member would be about it. A person could do more by spraying the spring with oil on the front & rear sides where accessible.

I think that was the general consensus when this was pitched probably a decade or two ago here. Even the illustration in the S/B would be difficult to duplicate in that location with the shell still in position. As I recall, the only argument that was made in favor of this actually being worthwhile was that the Model-T along with the B & 18 models apparently used a leather pad between the bottom side of the crossmember and the top leaf of the spring. The 'A' did not use any type pad in this area. With two properly torqued u-bolts, using lube would be moot as that area should not have any movement inboard of the two u-bolts to cause a squeak.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote