View Single Post
Old 01-18-2020, 10:17 PM   #56
Ranchero50

Thumbs up Re: Newbie '29 Speedster project, the good the bad and even the ugly (maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbasher View Post
Looks like your moving along. You mentioned when you where forming the firewall that you had a problem with cracking. What grade of aluminum are you using? And are you annealing the areas where you're doing the shaping? 1000 or 3000 will work nicely for body panels. 5000 can be hard to work with. All of these can be annealed. Hope this helps. JP
It was hard and I got too aggressive at the breaks for the bends and it cracked. I have one sheet of 3003 down in the shed and need at least one more. I'm using scraps of 6061 for the flat areas.

Spent today getting the gas tank mounted and welding up the back of the body loop. Used some oak to stiffen the gas tank mounting tubes...

Rear hoop is formed and welded in place.

Went ahead and mocked up the spare tire (rim) to figure out what I can do with the metal frame and skin.

Front 1/4 view shows how much the body narrows at the tail. I'll add some deco style outriggers to the frame corners once the skin is on.

Note: each picture is clickable for the full sized version. Good times.