Thread: Chevy Pistons
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 08:38 AM   #29
MrTube

Default Re: Chevy Pistons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browntudor View Post
I have no problems with pistons. So what if they're not the same as the originals? That probably means they're much better. If they were no good then why do they sell in such quantities without my hearing about mass failures! Materials and manufacturing are now better. The originals had split skirts because they couldn't control expansion and ford then didnt know what piston manufacturers know now? And since the thing will hardly exceed 3500 revs, I don't care how narrow the modern rings are they go just fine. The modern ones don't need to be the same as ford made. It was 80 years ago. We've all passed a lot of water since then!

I've got mixed feelings about this.
I have 80+ year old refrigerators whos compressors are made with unbelievable tolerances even by todays standards and the materials are clearly just as good. GE claimed tolerances of a few ten-thousandths of an inch.

We're talking about pumps that often have over 100,000 hours on them and yet still have close enough tolerances to pump gas under pressure without rings!

My point being I don't know if the new ones are necessarily better than the originals. Seems like an assumption we cannot make based off of what was available in mass production in the 1920s-1930s.

While this is a 1933-34 rotary pump I still feel it gives an example of the close tolerances that were possible in mass production at the time. No cork or copper or rope gaskets needed. Just steel on steel.
http://youtu.be/gn0u7dFBCTk

Last edited by MrTube; 09-05-2014 at 08:45 AM.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote