View Single Post
Old 12-27-2017, 04:03 PM   #1
wingski

Default To a or not to a

When I bought my ’29 cabriolet, I couldn’t resist it because it was so beautiful. My wife and I fell in love with the wonderfully clean lines and beautful blue body on the car. And, that new tan canvas top with those Landau side bars was almost overwhelming. I liked that idea that it had oil pressure and water temperature gauges. However, I’m starting to wonder if I bit off more than I can chew. The more I work on my car, the more I realize how rare and unique it is. The amount of wood in the doors alone compared to a later cabriolet is amazing. I’m beginning to think that this car should only be owned by a restorer with plenty of money, plenty of climate controlled space, plenty of contacts to do specialty work, and plenty of contacts who really know and understand this first year of convertible for Ford.

I love the car, but originally I was going to buy a ’29-’31 tudor with modern running gear and AC. I wanted a driver that I could take on trips in almost any kind of weather. I wanted a car that my wife could enjoy driving as well which means power steering, probably an automatic, and at least front disc brakes. I’m 74, and I didn’t want a muscle-car, but would have loved to have a late model Ford four cylinder OHC as a power plant.

I’m beginning to feel that this cabriolet is too rare to be worked on by a garage mechanic like myself. The idea of an open top model A with roll-up windows was irresistable to me, but now I have doubts.

This ‘29 of mine is even rarer than most because it is Canadian made with Robertson screws everywhere, and no fender mounted spares, just one in the rear.

I have definetly found out that a rumble seat is made for someone a lot younger than I am.

What do you think?

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1929 model a cabriolet.jpg (540.4 KB, 214 views)
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote