View Single Post
Old 10-15-2017, 03:01 AM   #170
A bones

Default Re: Great northern route 2

Congrats on getting your back axle woes fixed. It is much better to do so at home. I have a beater pickup that twice wanted a starter. First time was right in my driveway, second time was right in front of my parts store.

You are correct about pushing up the speed, raises the consumption. However I'm compelled to relate this little story.

In '53 my grandparents decided to travel the country. They began in Eastern PA. (Say Philly area) They had a '50 Plymouth that had seen taxi duty. ( he had to teach her driving-she tested and obtained a license, at the age of 55) It was the adventure of a lifetime. Pacific Ocean and back. (West via Rushmore, back via New Orleans, no interstate)

Anyhoo fast forward to 1989. I bring my daughter to visit great-grammom. During our chat I mention their tour, and wonder what gasoline cost for such a ride, back then. Darned if she didn't toddle to her bedroom and return with a 5"x7" note book. She opened to the back and claimed it took $72.35

The real point of all this, to me, was the fact that back then we walked around with silver and copper in our pockets, and every bit of it counted.

So, when is our next trip?

Last edited by A bones; 10-15-2017 at 04:55 AM.
A bones is offline   Reply With Quote