View Single Post
Old 10-28-2016, 06:46 PM   #54
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: FINALLY…T5 WITH Torque Tube in a ‘35-’40 Ford...The WHOLE STORY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Ernie View Post
When I was working on mine a long time ago, I actually acquired a 33/34 torque-tube and driveshaft. My understanding is that it would all bolt up to the later rear, but would need the oil drain hole drilled or aligned...

Unfortunately, a couple of military moves, then a bunch of life got in the way. My old '40 is in storage and hasn't run in a few years. I'm working on getting into a new place here in the new year and hopefully consolidating all my stuff in one spot. Maybe then I can work through my projects and get back to the '40...
Hey Ernie...No doubt the driveshaft would be "close" in length, and could probably have been made to work in Heard's '35 with (at the most) having to make sure the hole for the pin at the rear splines lined-up with hole in pinion shaft. At the most, a new hole would have had to be carefully drilled at the correct spot. As I tried to explain in the thread, the dimension between the snap ring at front, and the hole for the pin at the rear is a critical and exacting measurement. The one difficulty I see with your '40 is that the pinion is six-spline, and the '33/'34 d-shaft is 10-spline, as was Heard's '35. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote