View Single Post
Old 10-14-2016, 12:53 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: FINALLY…T5 WITH Torque Tube in a ‘35-’40 Ford...The WHOLE STORY!

2 Who Done It

Heard Saxon and I, Dick (DD) Davidson, have been piddlin’ with this project on and off for near a year now. I knew a little bit about the versatility of the basic design of the T5, and the resultant ease of interchanging factory Borg-Warner parts to end-up with different configurations for different purposes. You may want to note that TREMEC has bought-out the B-W name some years back, and that these transmissions are sometimes now referred to as TREMECS, or TREMEC T5s. Anyhow, I’ve since learned JUST how versatile the design REALLY is, even beyond my initial understanding and imagination. Heard wanted to put a T5 in his cool little ’36 3-window which is 8BA powered with a 1940 rear end. He also has a ’35 pick-up that he wants to do the same with. The coupe is a runnin’ driver, so he decided to begin this experiment with the ‘35 pick-up. Our first goal………find-out what it takes to make the shortest T5 possible, and to make it capable of bolting a SHORTENED torque tube and drive shaft to it, while requiring as little surgery as possible to the center CROSSMEMBER box and the X-rails. You all should understand that Heard lives northeast of Orlando, while I live NE of Houston. And while it’s possible to get a bunch figured-out far across the interweb, y’all gotta understand that I DID NOT get my hands dirty even once during any of what is shown or described here-in. All I did was share a bunch of questionable info and suggestions with Heard, while HE did all the spending, grunting and dirty work. He’s a pretty sharp guy though and was able to work around every lie and curve-ball that I sent his way.

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 10-14-2016 at 01:15 PM.
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)