View Single Post
Old 11-22-2019, 02:22 PM   #3
JimNNN

Default Re: Overdrive solenoids

I bought a new one from fifth ave. auto parts in Clay Center, KS. He offers both 6 and 12 volt versions (the voltages obviously aren't interchangeable in application.) Some people online have said that you CAN'T use voltage reducers or transformers or whatever on the electrical overdrive stuff, so I bought the 6 volt version to fit my 6v system. I have no idea if that is accurate, but that's what I did.

I've seen 6 and 12 v solenoids for the BW R10 (I believe that's what you have, as I recall) available from other places to, sometimes at a little bit less money. I bought the solenoid from this company because the owner of the company apparently knows something these old od units. If you buy from him, he says, "call if you have any problems"... I gotta tell you though, I did call him about problems and he's definitely a man of few words...very few. Not real helpful, when all is said and done.

As far as rebuilt units, the source I bought from had no core exchanges, which leads me to believe that there probably aren't any or many rebuilt units out there but I could be wrong.

BTW, DON'T forget to buy the solenoid shaft seal when you buy the solenoid. You're supposed to change those out whenever you remove the solenoid. They're about 8 bucks.

Okay, one other thing: To remove the solenoid, you remove the two bolts, and turn the solenoid about a quarter turn to the right to get the keyed shaft out of the pawl. To put a new one in, you first have to activate the solenoid by powering grounding it (read instructions) - either through the relay or the battery - to extend the shaft. You put it back in and turn it about a quarter turn to the left...which is reverse the removal process. This should engage it in the pawl. You can then remove the ground and the retracting shaft will pull the solenoid up the mounting surface on the OD housing...which let's you know the shaft is properly locked into the pawl.

Last edited by JimNNN; 11-22-2019 at 02:51 PM.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote