View Single Post
Old 05-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #37
Corley

Default Re: Starter problems

I still think you may have a bad connection at the battery. On several occasions, I've had a no start condition, where the battery cable is nice and tight to the post, but not making a good enough electrical contact to run the starter. So, other electrical things work, but press the starter and nothing happens. I've tried wiggling the battery cables, and they seem very tight when this occurred. I'd pull the cables off the battery, clean both the battery terminals and cable ends, and reinstall them. There is an excellent chance this will fix your problem for good. (At least until the next corrosion episode.). Oh, and this can also occurred at the other end of the battery cables, but is usually at the battery.

Whatever, it's all good...

PS. Last week Elvira's starter failed to work, and I found the brushes were too tight in the brush holders, and we're binding up. After they wore down to a certain point, they lost contact with the armature, so the starter would not run. I ground a tiny bit off the sides of the brushes so they slide easily, and now all is well. Probably a bad batch of brushes had been installed at some point, slightly oversized.

Last edited by Corley; 05-11-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote