View Single Post
Old 11-13-2019, 06:36 PM   #46
fordson

Post Re: Help: Reverse eye leaf spring problem 34 Ford

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thank you for all the comments and suggestions. In the meantime i have been to Cape Town to work on the car and check out the spring problems.
I have to say that everybody kind of panicked since the dropped front axle by Greg Haynes and the Lincoln brake System i got from Richard Lacy were like parts from outer space that would alter the character of the car. There were legal worries too! It all looked like a big mess up and i wanted it that way. However there was a major surprise:
The springworkshop did the front spring, reversed the main leaf and it worked out well, the rear they did as well, but as you know you cant just flip the main leaf because of the bend. They heated, straightened and rerolled the eye. It did work, but they were adament not to do it again☹️. Unfortunately we tried to fit the assembled reverse eye rear spring to the rear axle and could not fit it.
When reversing the eyes by heating, unrolling and rerolling, the main leaf shortens a little.

We thought the Springworkshop made a cock up, but only realised at a later stage the spring hanger on the rear axle shaft housing was bent due to an accident the wheel got hooked by. We used my last original 34 rear spring once we changed the axle housings with straight spring hangers. By that time we realised the reversed eye main leaf would have probably fitted as well, but by that time, the leaf was messed up, due to all sorts of treatments.

I dont want to do this to the main leaf of my stock rearspring again and mess it up as well. Since i still have all the other leaves from the 1st spring, i am hoping to find or get a main leaf with reversed eyes from somenoe who knows what he is doing. I could assemble and fit it, keeping the original stock spring just in case!

The front with dropped axle, bent spindle arm, steering rod set up and reverse eye spring fell in place once the brake drums and wheels went on. There is clearance to the dog bone shock links and everything is spaced correctly. Not much stance in sight though. Everybody was wondering what the hell this was all about in the first place. Then the engine got seated in the frame and suddenly there was LIGHT everywhere! And actual compliments although there is still doubt regarding wheel and fender clearance.

I am concerned that the rear sits too high with the stock rear spring, but unless i get a reverse eye main leaf or complete aftermarket rear spring from the US, itll stay like that. Luckily i have a stock front spring. I could also fit that and the stance will only rely on the dropped axle. Well see what it looks like.
fordson is offline   Reply With Quote