View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 10:26 PM   #51
Frank Miller

Default Re: Great northern route 2

Here's the deal. I'm in this little town of Libbey Montana and I got one of the last rooms. There are people staying here who are evacuated because of the fire. We're on the other side of the river so it's a little safer. Today I went north to The Road to the Sun. It was only open as far as Logan's Pass. I was just to The Continental Divide before having to turn around. I knew this going in but figured I'd see what I could. You can see the smoke haze from the pictures. For me it was not too bad until I got further south and back on 2. Entering the lower elevation you could smell the smoke and I was getting a bit of a headache. I'm just dealing with what it is. Keep going until they tell me to go different.
The car was running hot going up some of the hills and I had to add quite a bit of water. I stopped for lunch and the car was vapor locked when I went to start it. It started but then died. I just loosened the fuel line and took off the sediment bowl to add a little gas to the carb to get it going and I was off. It ran fine for the next 150 miles or so. Right after I made the repair I ran into a gentleman with a 41 Ford. I'll post that from my phone.
I was talking with one of the guest at the hotel and he noticed my rear tire separating. I changed that out and thinking I may get new ones soon. Like before I go back.
Not sure how the res of this trip will pan out because the whole northwest is basically on fire all the way to California.
It has been an experience and will continue to be. Just keep opening doors to see what's behind them.