View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #18
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Generator Preventative Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Here's a couple pictures of the field windings and output wire. This is where some people get mixed up and cross the output and field wires. Notice that the output wire is wrapped in the field coil edge to keep it away from the spinning armature. The bottom terminal in the second picture leads to the output terminal near the front of the case. If you have any doubt about which wire is the output wire, just use an ohm meter or continuity checker.

Also shown is another homemade tool I use to protect the windings while blasting the case. I use dense foam rubber to seal out the blasting grit, and copper plates to hold it in place. The copper plates fit snug to the case, but have a little notch to clear the field ground wire. The taped paper is what I use to protect the commutator when I spray clear lacquer on the armature windings.

I use a battery charger to test the field coils. On 6 volts, with the + connected to the case and - connected to the terminal, the ammeter should read about 4 amps.
I use gas and a syphon sprayer to clean the inside.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote