View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 08:07 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Generator Preventative Maintenance

Here's a picture showing the assembly sequence for both ends of the armature and end plates.

Starting with the rear end plate, the spring goes in first with the 6 spring ends pointing up (or forward as mounted on the car). Then install the thin flat washer, and lastly the bearing outer race. I grease the parts as I install them. The other two parts for the rear bearing have been left on the shaft, but had the felt seal and bearing been removed, then install the felt seal first, then the bearing. I also grease the balls on the bearing with Mystik JT-6 High Temp grease.

On the front end of the armature you first install the lock ring. There was no need to remove this one, and you can see it's still on the shaft. It's made of soft steel and can easily be removed by bending the ends apart with a pair of screwdrivers, or a duck billed snap ring spreader tool. Make sure it's tightly installed to the groove because there is very little clearance to the bearing retainer plate center hole. If you hear scraping on an assembled generator, this is likely the cause. Next you install the bearing retainer plate with the concave side of the 4 pockets facing the end plate, then the bearing, then the spacer, then lastly the other lock ring.

In the front end plate you install the seal retainer with the stepped edge, then the felt seal, then the wavy washer. Now you can slip the armature/bearing assembly into the front end plate and secure the bearing retainer with rivet nuts that the parts houses sell. Notice that the bearing retainer plate has a cutout to clear the rivet for the oiler cover.

Notice this end plate has two screws and spring retainers for the adjustable brush holder. It also has a seperate screw for the ground brush wire terminal. Later on Ford eliminated this seperate screw and threaded hole by installing the ground brush terminal under the screw for the spring retainer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Generator Bad5.jpg (49.0 KB, 76 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote