View Single Post
Old 11-20-2020, 04:53 PM   #24
Mart

Default Re: What kind of jack do you carry

I have an inexpensive scissor jack. You should be able to get the jack under the axle and you only need to lift the tire 1/2" off the ground. If the vehicle is not severely lowered you should be able to get the wheel and tire off and the spare on.

Most important, make sure you test your equipment. make sure you can get the hubcap off. Make sure you can undo the lugnuts. make sure you can chock the wheels. Make sure you have something to put under the jack if not on solid ground. Go through an exercise of changing one front and one rear wheel. Do this in ideal circumstances and then make sure you stow all that equipment in the car.

If you ever need it out on the road then you can have some confidence you should be able to do what you need to do.

If you just get a jack that someone recommended you might be in trouble if you come to use it and it isn't suitable or you can't get the nuts undone.

I had the tires changed on my daily and some time later I wanted to change a wheel and I broke the wheelbrace (lugwrench) that came with the car. The nuts were so tight I couldn't undo them. I had to loosen all the wheelnuts and torque them properly. I then repaired the wheelbrace and made sure it could undo the properly tightened nuts.

Hence the advice to test what you decide to use.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote