View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 09:36 AM   #8
Joe K

Default Re: what caused radiator failure?

When I was building my Gordon-Smith Compressor, I was limited on the alignment of the water pump outlet and the inlet to the radiator (top connection)

Gordon Smith uses a Model B water pump - which has a certain angle more along the lines of the 30-31 Model A and would normally mate well with the taller Model B radiator.

In the case of my G-S, I was using a 28-29 pattern radiator - different height/angle - and regular hoses were too stiff and wouldn't make the bend.

Solution came to me with buying a "replacement" hose for perhaps a 1985 Chevrolet. I walked up and down the hose rack at the auto parts store and eventually settled on a hose which had a "kink" built into it - and was the right diameter.

I bought the hose (small money relatively - less than $10 at the time?) and brought it home and held it up against the two connections such that the bend was about mid-way between. Mark and cut off the ends of the hose.

I was also pleased to find the hose is a bit "thinner" than Model A Repop hose and bent easily so removal/replacement of the radiator was not required for assembly.

Still there today - and it looks almost like it was made that way.

Well, actually it was.

Joe K