View Single Post
Old 05-22-2015, 10:10 PM   #15
PC/SR

Default Re: shimming engine bearings

I know from personal experience that if you do not oil the plastigage that it will indent into the cap. The amount of the indent of course does not spread out and the result is that the Plastigage is not as wide as it would otherwise be, is narrower than if it spread to its full amount, and therefore will have a narrower spread, and hence give a reading of more than the actual clearance (the less spread, the more the clearance shown on the index. Is this making sense?)
I follow Herms method of spreading a film of oil the length of the plastigage on the journal, then put a small bit of oil on the cap and torque. The plastigage does not stick to the cap, and use a fingernail and laquer thinner to remove it from the journal.
1930 MOdel A: I do not understand how removing a .003 shim from an .003 clearance will result in .002 clearance. Did you oil the plastigage? Have you tried turning the engine with the crank or starter? Something there just does not sound right to me. Not trying to argue, just a bit worried that the knock will be gone but the clearances might be too tight and cause more probs. Let us know because feedback on all these things is beneficial to the next guy with the same problem.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote